With the coming of new mattress types, we might think that the spring mattress will soon become extinct. But that’s not true. The spring mattress comes with its own set of benefits and there always is a section of people which prefers them to the other kinds of mattresses.
Here, Springwel talks about spring mattress! Keep reading.
What is a Spring Mattress?
In other words, it is a mattress which contains springs. The mattress springs are also known as mattress coils. Majorly used in the core of the innerspring mattresses, these, unlike memory foam, don’t adjust to the body heat. The top layer is known as the comfort layer and the layer beneath that is known as the support layer or the core.
Spring Mattress – A short history!
The use of coil springs dates back to the 15th century. But their importance for mattresses was realized only in the mid-late 19th century, after upholstery coil springs were being used in carriages and furniture.
Different Types in Spring Mattresses!
There are a number of springs used in spring mattresses. Each kind serves a specific purpose.
- Continuous Coils, where the different rows of springs in the mattress are formed from a single long piece of wire.
- Bonnell spring mattresses are the most common and the oldest. Adapted from the horse carriage seats of the 19th century, bonnell coils are used in the mid-priced mattresses.
- Offset coils are hourglass shaped but have their tops and bottom convolutions flattened. The flat segments are hinged together while assembling which helps the entire structure conform to the body shape.
- Marshall coils known as pocket springs are barrel shaped and thin-gauged coils which are encased in individual pockets. The springs are not wired together and work independently.
Spring Mattresses – The Pros and Cons
There is no mattress which is suitable for everyone. Each has its own set of pros and cons and spring mattress are no exception.
1. Low Price : Cost is an important factor which needs to be looked upon before buying a mattress. The prices have fallen significantly due to an increase in the number of people using them. Hence, if you want to buy a comfortable and budget friendly mattress – this may be the one.
2. Consumer familiarity – Spring mattress have been in the market for a long time now. So any technology introduced in spring mattress has a higher chance of being accepted by people as the mattress type is known.
3. Durability – The mattress lasts long. This is due to the proper construction – it is built to offer the same comfort for years.
4. Better Circulation – Circulation is important for better sleep. Spring mattress have a considerable amount of space between them and hence allow easy ventilation. This helps prevent accumulation of body heat and promote better sleep.
1. Can wear faster – Spring mattresses tend to wear faster as the springs lose support and padding gets compressed.
2. Hard to set up – Given the structure, a spring mattress can be heavy and hard to move around. Taking it outside to clean it can be tough.
3. Dust mites – The underlying layers of the mattress are made of wool and fiber, hence providing a conducive environment for allergens such as dust mites to grow and flourish. This is why cleaning a spring mattress is very important.
4. Motion Transfer – This might become an issue for couples as the movement of the partner can disturb the other.
Top Spring Mattress Online!
If you are looking to buy spring mattress online, Springwel offers a number of options. These have been around for a long time now and is one of the reasons most people prefer them over mattress types. If you don’t want to experiment when it comes to sleep, spring bed mattress may be your type. The mattresses are reasonably priced too – hence offer decent sleep without burning large holes in the pocket.