Sleep is an interesting process in which the body undergoes various actions. There is so much about sleep that we don’t know, but day by day the researchers continue to uncover the new and exciting fact about things we love to do. Here are a few crazy sleep facts listed by Springwel-
1. Lack of sleep can shorten your life and make you fat - Getting sleep less than six hours a day can significantly affect a person’s lifespan. A week or more without proper sleep can also cause you to gain around two pounds of fat in a week. Lack of sleep causes food cravings for salty and sugary foods and for larger portions.
2. It is normal for the deaf to sign in their sleep - Just as talking in the sleep, the hearing impaired communicate through the sign language while sleeping. There are many instances of people who have reported the deaf child or partner signing while snoozing.
3. Humans can sleep with the eyes open - You can sleep with the eyes open. Due to the human’s ability to sleep with the eyes open, it is impossible to tell whether someone is actually fast asleep or not just based on the eyes being open or close unless they are under medical supervision.
4. Altitude disrupts the cycle - The higher you are, the more disrupted the sleep cycle gets. The sleep disturbances tend to rise at altitudes of 13,200 feet or more. These changes are claimed to be caused by the changes in breathing resulting from the lower levels of oxygen. People may take around two-three weeks to adjust to the new altitudes.
5. Stress tends to create an internal clock - Humans can unconsciously wake themselves. You know the times when you have an important meeting or interview, and wake up exactly when you needed to right after the alarm goes off? This is because of the expectation of the stress of waking up causing a burst of the stress hormone.
6. Light and noise are enemies of sleep - Any light, even the tiny rays are enough to disrupt the sleep cycle even if you are not fully awake. The light turns off a ‘neutral switch’ in the brain causing levels of a key sleep chemical to decline within minutes. The sound is also just as disruptive. Exposure to noise at night can suppress the immune function. Any unfamiliar or any noise during the first and last two hours of sleep has largest impact on the cycle.
Were you surprised by any of these facts? Is there anything you can change about sleep based on these facts? Springwel or any other brand can never know everything about sleep but it helps to keep the knowledge coming so that we work on perfecting the sleep routine for a better life.