From boosting the memory to lowering the blood pressure, a short afternoon nap is a study in small miracles. Naps are considered a luxury or a sign of slackery, But as a matter of fact, many of us are sleep depriced and the quickest of naps can do wonders. Such a short nap offers significant benefits for enhanced alertness and performance without leaving you feeling dizzy or interfering with the nigh's sleep. Here are a few surprising health benefits of an afternoon nap -
1. Provides a memory boost – Research suggests that regular naps improved the performance on cognitive tests of memory. People who took a nap for more than 20 minutes suffered from dizziness whereas the 10 minute nappers experienced an immediate boost in performance.
2. Calms your nerves – Studies says that a proper 90 minute nap can keep you calm. Study participants were shown faces which marked anger, fear and happiness at noon and then again at 6:00 p.m. It was found that subjects significantly more upset later in the day; but not if they had a 90-minute lunchtime nap in which they experienced REM sleep.
3. Improves Alertness – The National Sleep Foundation reports that a 40 minute nap improved the performance by 34% and alertness by almost a 100%. It also recommends a quick nap before driving the car to decrease the risk of sleepy driving crash.
4. Enhances creativity – Daytime sleep boosts the creative thinking, enhances the cognitive process, improves memory recall and clears out the complications and cobwebs in the mind.
5. Boosts willpower – When it comes to the matters of willpower, it is important to have a fresh mind. When one is sleep deprived, he/she may a hard time ignoring distractions and controlling the impulses. An afternoon nap can reduce the stress, improve the mood and restore the focus.
If you cannot nap!
The benefits of falling asleep are many but not everyone can reap the benefits of the same. Springwel, a leading mattress supplier in India says that even a quiet rest or meditation can do wonders. Simple breathing exercise can also help slow down the brain and be restorative.