Insomnia is defined as an inability to fall asleep, remain sleep and get the amount of sleep an individual needs to wake up feeling rested. It can sometimes be a sign of another disease or condition. But there is no one best strategy - what may work for one person might not be the best option for the other. However, here are top 6 sleep-aiding strategies collected by Springwel. Take a look -
1. Not trying to fall asleep - As funny as it may sound, the trick of falling asleep may be trying to stay awake. By lying in bed not worrying about falling asleep, insomniacs have shown to actually fall asleep more quickly and sleep better. Experts say that trying to stay awake eliminates the anxiety people feel while trying to fall asleep.
2. Hide all the clocks - Do not be afraid of losing the track of time while hiding all the clocks in your room. However, keeping track of time is a problem as a matter of fact. Constantly checking the time can make you stressed. When you do not meet the expectations of going to sleep, you tend to worry and it furthers steals your sleep.
3. Comfortable beds and mattresses - Uncomfortable beds and mattresses are a common concern amongst people failing to get sufficient sleep. Tossing and turning is a sign that you need to buy mattress online. Springwel, a leading mattress manufacturer is a wonderful option to buy mattress online in various cities in India.
4. Take a warm bath or shower - Spending some time in a steamy hot shower can be prove to be effective. Doctors point that the body temperature drops after the shower. This drop in the temperature can trigger a sleepy feeling because the heart rate, digestion and other metabolic processes slow down making it easier for the brain and body to power down.
5. Relaxation Training - When you are anxious about being unable to sleep, the body releases stress hormones which make it difficult to let go of the anxiety. Springwel suggests that training by using techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation (which focuses on every part of your body) or meditation can help.
6. Try the 4-7-8 Exercise - Science says that focusing on your breathing decreases the heart rate and blood pressure which is prime for sleepiness. Try this technique -
- Inhale for four seconds
- Hold your breath for seven seconds.
- Exhale for eight seconds and REPEAT!
Deliberately changing the pattern of breathing, you can change your heart rate and blood pressure. Relaxation specialists suggest to inhale through the nose, focus on filling the chest and lungs and exhaling slowly through the mouth.