The monsoon is back, and this is the perfect season for a good sleep. Despite the pitter patter, this weather is supposed to soothe us into better sleep. You can enjoy the natural sound of the rains as you slide deeper in the blissful state. However, we must take extra care of the mattresses as with monsoons, there is always a risk of dampness. From furniture to the mattress, all run the same risk of getting worn out. They are normally seen as investments and prolonging the mattresses lifespan is something necessary.
Here are a few ways suggested by Springwel to protect your mattress –
1. Air it once a month. You can sprinkle some baking soda on it and keep it on for a minimum of 15 minutes for it to absorb any moisture. You can also vacuum clean it.
2. Change the sheets at least once in three days.
3. Open the windows and air the room when the sun is out.
4. Don’t forget to use a bed mattress protector cover. They are easily removable and washable acting as a barrier against the allergens and dust mites. They will save you the trouble of vacuuming the mattress.
5. If you spray on any freshener, be careful and don’t spray too much such that the inside padding does not get affected.
6. Invest in a mattress pad or mattress topper. It is placed under the bed sheet and over the mattress cover. It will not only make the mattress much more comfortable, but can also be easily removed for washing. If you have young children, using a waterproof mattress cover or pad is extremely important.
7. Wash your bedding and mattress covers should be regularly washed in hot water. To soften the sheets and remove any odours, you can add half a cup white vinegar to the hot water.
8. Flip the mattress once every three months. It includes both flipping and rotating it over. For more even wear and tear of your mattress this will help, and will extend the life of your mattress.
These tips, combined with the regular mattress maintenance tips can be the safest bet in prolonging the life of your mattress even more.