Shifting to a new house means new appliances, new furniture and new mattresses. Besides, you have to think about disposing of your old mattress to accommodate the new ones.
Well, getting rid of an old mattress is not a big deal if you’re aware and know what to do with it. Here are some easy ways you can dispose of your used mattresses without thinking too much:
1. Call a nearby recycling centre: If you know about a recycling centre in your city, just make a call and let them know about your used mattresses. A team from a recycling facility visits your home, accepts the old mattresses and further recycles them for a service charge or free of cost.
2. DIY mattress recycling: DIY (Do It Yourself) projects do take time, so if you’ve time, tear your old mattress apart and take its recyclable parts to the local recycling centre.
Here’s what can be recycled:
- Steel springs
- Wood frame
- Outer foam
- Polyurethane foam
DIY recycling is more time-consuming than handing the used mattresses over to someone else to do the job on your behalf. But it’s better for the environment than leaving your mattress in a dumpster.
3. Repurpose it: If you love to DIY, you’d be happy to explore all the cool things you could make with old mattresses. You can use the springs to make creative outdoor decor pieces, ornaments or wine racks; the padding for your pet; the thread for different sewing projects; and the fabric for making cushion covers.
4. Donate to charity: In case your mattress is in good condition but you no longer want it, you can look for a charity that accepts old mattresses. Charities offer it to people who cannot afford mattresses. This way it could be beneficial for someone in need. However, make sure that you don’t donate torn mattresses or those with bed bugs.
5. Sell your old mattress online: There are certain websites, such as OLX, providing consumer sales options. It’s the best platform for selling your used mattresses online. You may even use a social network for advertising your mattress sale. Place an ad on different social networking sites and also ask your friends to share it for more reach.
It’s vital to think about how you are going to dispose of your used/old mattress before buying a new one. Donating, recycling and selling your used mattresses are different options to keep your old mattress away from landfills. So, you can be at peace of mind knowing that you’ve done your part to protect the environment.